Check out other simple ways below to stay safe in your living room.
In Scotland, most fatal fires are started by smoking. Cigarette ends can smoulder for ages if not put out properly. You should:
never leave a cigarette unattended
stub cigarettes out in an ashtray – put a little water at the bottom of the ashtray
empty and clean your ashtray regularly
keep matches and lighters out of reach of children
use safety matches (ones that only strike on the box)
don’t throw used matches straight in the bin – put them in an ashtray.
Many fires started by cigarettes happen to people who have been drinking and are tired. Follow these tips:
take extra care if you’ve been drinking alcohol
don’t smoke in your chair if you’ve been drinking or you’re sleepy
if you do feel sleepy, smoke outside or at a window.
Electrical equipment safety
Every two weeks a TV in Scotland starts a house fire. This is dangerous at any time – but if you’re asleep, it could be fatal. All electric equipment should be switched off at the wall when you leave the house or go to bed.
Follow our safety advice:
always switch appliances off at the wall before going to bed or going out
always plug straight into a wall socket and avoid adaptors for lots of plugs as they can result in electricity overloads.
Older soft furniture can catch fire more easily. It's often filled with foam that create dangerous fumes when on fire.
Furniture made before 1988 is unlikely to be fire resistant. Think about changing older chairs or having them re-covered with modern material. Chair covers can help increase fire resistance, so repair holes or worn areas.
If you have lit candles at home, you should:
use a proper candlestick holder
put candlestick holders on flat, heat-resistant surfaces – never on cushions or plastic – and make sure they don’t get knocked over
keep candles clear of clothes and curtains
put candles out properly before leaving the room and never leave a lit candle alone – even for a few seconds
never use candles if you’ve been drinking alcohol or feel sleepy
treat tea lights and incense sticks the same as candles.