Reporting anti-social behaviour

We all want to live a quiet and peaceful life in our homes. No one should have to put up with being abused, harassed or living next to a noisy or nuisance neighbour.

We take all anti-social complaints seriously and we’ll act quickly.

How do I report anti-social behaviour?

You should report any incident about you, or a member of your household, to our Customer First Centre. They'll record it and investigate according to our anti-social behaviour policy.

You can report it on your My Wheatley Homes South account or by using our online form.

Don't have an account yet? Sign up for a My Wheatley Homes South account. It's safe and secure, and it only takes a few minutes.

If you have a serious or urgent problem:

What happens if the anti-social behaviour doesn’t stop?

Our anti-social behaviour intervention and prevention officers (ASBIP’s) are on hand to deal with more serious types and persistent cases of anti-social behaviour. Officers work closely with Police Scotland and Wheatley Homes South's legal team. We can issue warnings and, as a last resort, help prepare legal action.