Universal Credit

If you’re affected by Universal Credit, or know a tenant who is, the first thing to do is come and talk to us.

If you need to claim Universal Credit, do it as soon as possible so your first payment isn’t delayed. We can help you make a claim and support you until your money comes in.

We can also help tenants get online and set up an email address, manage their money and open a bank account – all really important under Universal Credit.

One of the biggest issues with Universal Credit is the delay in getting the first payment. People wait five or six weeks – but sometimes up to three months.

If you don’t have an email address, or the documents and ID needed, it can delay your money even more.

That’s why it’s so important to talk to us straight away if you’re affected.

If tenants are struggling during this initial phase they can talk to their job coach to apply for an advance Universal Credit payment, which is usually there within seven days. Although this can be a lifeline at the start, the money is deducted from future payments and can mean you may be left struggling.

If you’re affected by Universal Credit, get in touch through your My Wheatley Homes South account or contact us on 0800 011 3447 . We're here to help you.

Do you need extra advice and support? Check out the many ways we can help.